Susan G. Komen’s Mammogram Voucher Program
BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
Pink is more than a color in the breast cancer movement. It is a powerful symbol of a journey, reminding us of our successes, our struggles, and – most importantly – our fight. The month of October is dedicated to raising awareness about breast cancer. During this time to celebrate, educate, and honor, we need pink to remind people that our battle against this disease is not over.
It is estimated that 232,670 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed, and 40,000 women will die from the disease in 2014 in the United States. The disease is not exclusive to women, however, as more than 2,360 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in men this year in the United States. It is important that everyone – including women and men – schedule regular breast examinations and exercise proper breast health.
We need pink to remind women that mammograms are the best tool available to provide early detection of breast cancer. We need pink to remind people that our battle is not over. We need pink to show our family, friends and neighbors that we support them as they wage their personal war against this disease. If seeing pink reminds one person to schedule their mammogram, pink could save a life.
MAMMOGRAMS FOR THE UNINSURED AND UNDERINSURED IN OUR AREA
Although mammograms remain the best screening tool for diagnosing breast cancer, there are many in western and central Pennsylvania that are unable to afford them.
Each year, Adagio Health receives a grant from Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh that is used to administer the Mammogram Voucher Program (MVP) and serve uninsured and underinsured women and men in Komen Pittsburgh’s 34-county service area. The MVP provides mammograms and follow-up diagnostic services ranging from surgical consults to biopsies.
You may be eligible for the MVP if:
• You are age 40 or older and do not have insurance.
• You are under age 40, at high risk for breast cancer and cannot afford a mammogram.
• You are unable to meet your insurance co-pay or deductible.
All money granted to Adagio Health by Komen Pittsburgh for the MVP comes from your donations. More money raised means more people can be helped. If you would like to make a contribution, visit www.komenpittsburgh.org or call 412-342-0500.
FACTS ABOUT KOMEN PITTSBURGH AND BREAST CANCER 2014
Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh
• Komen Pittsburgh serves 34 counties across western and central Pennsylvania, and 75% to meet community needs. The remaining 25% directly funds the Susan G. Komen® National Research Grants Program.
• Since the first Pittsburgh Race for the Cure in 1993, Komen Pittsburgh has contributed more than $18.5 million in grants to support breast cancer education, screening and treatment initiatives for western and central Pennsylvania residents and has invested more than $7 million toward national breast cancer research.
• The 2014 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure raised more than $1.3 million in gross revenue and was attended by more than 2,000 breast cancer survivors.
• In 2014, Komen Pittsburgh granted more than $1 million to local organizations. Adagio Health received the largest grant for its Mammogram Voucher Program, which provides mammogram vouchers to uninsured and underinsured women.
• Last year, Komen Pittsburgh’s mammogram voucher grant provided mammogram vouchers to 10,000 women and men in western and central Pennsylvania. Approximately 350 of those mammograms detected breast abnormalities, and more than 100 of the abnormal mammograms led to the detection of breast cancer.
• Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among women worldwide with 1.7 million new cases diagnosed annually.
• In the United States, one woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every 2 minutes, and one woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes.
• It is estimated that 232,670 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in the United States in 2014, and 40,000 women will die from the disease.
• More than 2,360 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in men in the United States in 2014, and 430 men will die from the disease.
• All women are at risk for breast cancer, but the risk of getting breast cancer increases as you age. Most breast cancers and breast cancer deaths occur in women aged 50 and older.
• Fewer than five percent of breast cancers occur in women under age 40. However, breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among women ages 20 to 59.
• Breast cancer is the most common cancer in pregnant and postpartum women. About 13 cases are diagnosed per 100,000 pregnancies.
• The five-year survival rate for breast cancer – when caught early before it spreads beyond the breast – is now 99 percent (compared to 74 percent in 1982).
• In the United States today, there are nearly 3.1 million breast cancer survivors – the largest group of cancer survivors in the country.